Key to Umbria: Foligno

Abbazia di Santa Croce di Sassovivo (11th century)

This Benedictine abbey, which was established in ca. 1077, subsequently accumulated a vast patrimony.  It passed to the Olivetans in 1436, and Pope Paul II began the dispersal of many of its holdings in 1467.  After the unification of Italy in 1860, part of the complex passed to the diocese and the rest into private hands.  It has belonged to the Piccoli Fratelli di Jesus Caritas since 1979.

Bridges of Foligno


Casa di Nicolò Alunno (15th century)

This house, which belonged to Nicolò di Liberatore, l’ Alunno, contains  fascinating graffiti by the artist, including this self-portrait.

Chiesa del Suffragio (1724-45)

This interesting neoclassical church belonged to the Confraternita del Suffragio.

City Walls and Gates

This page describes the two circuits of walls built around Foligno. 

Duomo of San Feliciano (begun in 1133)

The jewel of the Duomo of Foligno is its minor facade in Piazza della Repubblica.  The interior took on its present neo-classical appearance after a long programme of restoration in the period 1772-1819.


Nunneries in Via dei Monasteri

The church and nunnery of Sant’ Anna in Via dei Monasteri has its own webpage in this website.  Four other nunneries are described in the page on nunneries in Via dei Monasteri:
  1. Santa Maria del Popolo;

  2. Sant’ Elisabetta;

  3. Sant’ Agnese (the portal of which is illustrated here); and

  4. Santa Maria di Betlem.

Oratorio del Crocifisso (1587-1702)

This oratory, which is characterised by its Baroque decoration,  contains frescoes by Noel Quillerier and Giovanni Battista Michelini.

Oratorio del Gonfalone  (1725-38)


Oratorio della Misericordia (17th century)

This page actually describes two locations associated with the Confraternita della Misericordia:
  1. their church of San Giovanni Decollato, which was demolished in 1869; and

  2. the oratory (illustrated here) that they built on the site to which they moved in 1569.

Oratorio della Nunziatella (1494)

This oratory, which has a lovely Renaissance interior, also contains the important fresco of the Baptism of Christ   

Ospedale Vecchio di San Giovanni Battista (1517-20)

This page describes:
  1. the old hospital of Foligno, in Corso Cavour; and

  2. its church, San Giovanni Battista, which was demolished in 1873-4.

Palazzo dei Canonici (1923-6)

The ancient residence of the Canons of San Feliciano owes its current appearance to an extensive restoration carried out in 1923-6.  It houses the Museo Diocesano.

Public Palaces of Foligno

These comprise three adjacent buildings in Piazza della Repubblica:
  1. Palazzo Comunale (1546-1642), remodelled after the earthquake of 1832 (illustrated here);

  2. Palazzo Orfini (1515);

  3. ex-Palazzo Comunale (1262-5); and

  4. the so-called Palazzetto del Podestà (13th   century)

Palazzo Trinci (1389-1411)

This palace, which was built by the Trinci lords of Perugia, subsequently housed the papal governors of the city.  Its original frescoes on the piano nobile are particularly important.  The palace also houses most of the museums of Foligno, including the Pinacoteca and the Museo Archeologico.

Patrician Palaces of Foligno

This page describes:
  1. three palaces in Walk I:

  2. Palazzo Varini (15th century), illustrated here;

  3. Palazzo Gregori (16th century);

  4. Palazzo Piermarini (early 19th century); and

  5. Palazzo Elisei;

  6. Palazzo Giusti Orfini; and

  7. the following palaces in Walk II:

  8. Palazzo Nuti Deli (1510-6);

  9. Palazzo Cibo Nocchi (1497);

  10. Casa degli Atti (14th century);

  11. Palazzo Gentili Spinola (16th century);

  12. Palazzo Brunetti Candiotti (1781);

  13. the four palaces in the Insula dei Vitelleschi:

  14. -Palazzo Vitelleschi;

  15. -Palazzo Prosperi Valenti;

  16. -Palazzo Vallati Montogli; and

  17. -Palazzo Gigli; and

  18. three palaces in Piazza XX Settembre:

  19. -Palazzo Monaldi Barnabò (1620-8) ;

  20. -Palazzo Jacobilli Carrara (ca. 1565); and

  21. -Palazzo Barnabò alle Conce (ca. 1510)

Sant’ Agostino (1720-50)

The Augustinians rebuilt this church in 1308.  It was restructured in the period 1720-50 and reconsecrated in 1753.  It remained in the ownership of the Augustinians until 1810.

Sant’ Anna (ca. 1390)


Sant’ Apollinare (6th century ?)


San Bartolomeo di Marano (1731-6)


Ospedale della Trinità (1374), now Monastero di Santa Caterina Nuova

This complex grew up around the Ospedale della Trinità (1374).  The nuns of Santa Caterina Vecchia moved here in 1887.

Santa Caterina Vecchia, or delle Vergine (14th century)


San Claudio (1229)


San Domenico (1285 - ca. 1474)


San Feliciano di Mormonzone (14th century)


San Francesco (1796-1856)


San Giacomo (1402)


San Giovanni Battista (12th century)

This page describes:
  1. the ancient parish church of San Giovanni Battista, which passed to a community of hermits of St Jerome in 1493 (remodelled in 1719-20); and

  2. the Ospedale Civile (1845-60), which was built on the site of their adjacent monastery.

San Giovanni Profiamma (11th century)


Santa Lucia (1928)


Santa Maria di Betlem (1379)

This page describes:
  1. the Monastero di Santa Maria di Betlem; and

  2. the nuns’ new church, the Chiesa del Corpo di Cristo (1672-1740), illustrated here.

Santa Maria in Campis (12th century) 


Santa Maria Giacobbe (13th century)


Santa Maria Infraportas (ca. 1100)

This church, which is the oldest surviving church in Foligno, was first documented in 1207.  Its name reflects its position  “between the gates” of the original and later city walls.   By the 15th century, Santa Maria had achieved the status of a collegiata, serving the Terziero Inferiore.   Although it has been greatly modified over the centuries, it still preserves its original character. 

Santa Maria di Plestia


San Nicolò (ca. 1348)


San Pietro in Pusterna (12th century ?) and San Carlo (1613-23)

This page describes:
  1. the ancient church of San Pietro in Pusterna, which contains the earliest frescoes that survive in Foligno; and

  2. the Barnabite complex of San Carlo, which includes the church of San Carlo (illustrated here) and which incorporated San Pietro in Pusterna in 1614.

San Salvatore (14th century)


SS Trinita in Annunziatà (1755)

This page describes:
  1. the two nunneries belonging to Franciscan tertiaries that merged in 1755;

  2. the Monastero di SS Annunciata (1347); and

  3. the Monastero di SS Trinità (1372); and

  4. the nuns’ new church of SS Trinità in Annunziata (1760-75), illustrated here.

Small Churches

This page describes:
  1. three churches that no longer survive:

  2. Santa Maria della Croce (1286);

  3. San Leonardo (12th century) ; and

  4. Santa Maria Maddalena (13th century);

  5. Santa Maria della Consolazione;

  6. San Tommaso dei Cipischi (1190);

  7. San Giovanni dell’ Acqua (13th century);

  8. the Oratorio del Buon Gesù (1561), of which only vestiges survive;

  9. Santa Margherita alle Conce (1722-33), illustrated here; and

  10. Santa Maria delle Grazie (1898).

Return to the home page on Foligno.


Monuments in Foligno

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Foligno:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments   Museums

The images below link to detailed pages on the most important monuments

in and around Foligno.