Key to Umbria: Perugia

Santa Teresa degli Scalzi (1626-1718)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact

Perugia:  Home    History   Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums

The reformed Carmelite congregation, which was known in Italy as the Carmelitani Scalzi (barefoot), was established in Rome in 1617.  A community of friars of the new order was established temporarily at what became Santa Caterina Nuova in 1622. 

Alessandro Baglioni designed the friars' new church in the form of a Greek cross with a cylindrical drum above the crossing.  It was consecrated in 1626 and construction continued until 1718.  Its façade was never finished.

The community was suppressed in 1870.  The church belongs to the Centro Neocatecumenale Diocesano “Servo di Jahvé” and the rest of the complex is now used as a school. 

Madonna and Child with saints (ca. 1700)

This altarpiece on the altar on the left is attributed to Carlo Lamparelli.  It depicts St Teresa being taken to Heaven by angles, where the Madonna and Child await her.  SS John the Baptist, Peter and Antony of Padua are depicted below.  The arms held by the angel at the bottom of the panel belong to the Cesarei family, who owned the altar.

Madonna and Child with saints (1632)

This altarpiece on the last altar on the right is attributed to Giovanni Antonio Scaramuccia.  It depicts the Madonna and Child with SS Joseph and Theresa.

Saints (ca. 1734)

These two oval panels by Giacinto Boccanera, each of which depicts a saint (identify ?), are on an altar (which one ?) that was built in 1734.

Annunciation (17th century)

This altarpiece on the altar on the right, which was documented in San Pietro 1784, is attributed to Giovanni Francesco Bassotti.

Deposition of Christ (18th century)

This altarpiece on the 2nd altar on the right is attributed to Anton Maria Garbi.

Virgin and saints (18th century)

This altarpiece on the 1st altar on the right, which is attributed to Anton Maria Garbi, depicts the Virgin with SS Aloysius Gonzaga (who had been canonised in 1726) and Mary-Magdalen de’ Pazzi.

Art from the Church

SS Anna and Joacchim with the young Virgin Mary (1732)

This altarpiece from Santa Teresa, which is signed by Francesco Mancini and dated by inscription, is now in the deposit of the Galleria Nazionale.  A design for it is in the collection of the Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Pesaro in Palazzo Montani-Antaldi, Pesaro.

St John of the Cross (18th century)

This panel in the deposit of the Galleria Nazionale, which is of unknown provenance, is attributed to Francesco Busti.  The kneeling saint is surrounded by angels, one carrying a cross and one (a baby) carrying lilies.  This might be one of two (otherwise unknown) panels that Baldassarre Orsini attributed to this artist in his guide of 1784:

  1. a panel in Sant’ Angelo in Porta Eburnea, which he identified as portraying St John Nepomucen; or

  2. a panel in Santa Teresa, which he described as “St John of the Cross with many angels, and with the Eternal Father and Jesus Christ above” (although these upper figures are missing).

Return to Monuments of Perugia.

Return to Walk III.