Key to Umbria: Gualdo Tadino

Monuments of Gualdo Tadino

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Gualdo Tadino:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums

Images below link to pages on the most important monuments in Gualdo Tadino.

Hermitages on Monte Serrasanta

This page describes hermitages and related monuments at:
  1. Campitella (now demolished)

  2. Castel Vecchio:

  3. the Eremo di Santo Marzio (13th century), illustrated here; and

  4. Santissima Annunziata (1629);

  5. Capodacqua:

  6. the Erermo di SS Gervasio e Protasio (now demolished), which joined the Congregazione del Corpo di Cristo (below) in 1345;

  7. the Eremo del Beato Angelo (ca. 1450); and

  8. Santa Maria del Divino Amore (1565); and

  9. at the summit:

  10. the Eremo di Serrasanta (1547)

Monastero del Corpo di Cristo (demolished)

This congregation was formed in the early 14th century at a monastery outside Porta San Benedetto.  It followed a form of the Cistercian Rule that laid particular emphasis on the Eucharist and the Feast of Corpus Domini.  The Monastero di SS Gervasio e Protasio at Capodacqua (above) joined the congregation in 1345.   The Monastero del Corpo di Cristo was already in poor repair in in 1392, when Pope Boniface IX moved the headquarters of the congregation to Santa Maria in Campis, Foligno.  No trace of it survives.

Link to Monastero del Corpo di Cristo

Nunneries of Gualdo Tadino

This page describes:
  1. Santa Margherita (1328, rebuilt 1453), illustrated here; 

  2. Santa Chiara (1575), formerly Santa Maria di Tadino (below); 

  3. SS Lucia e Maria Maddalena (1381)

Public Palaces of Gualdo Tadino

This page describes:
  1. Torre Civica (12th century) and the adjacent Palazzo del Podestà (18th century), illustrated here; and

  2. Palazzo Comunale (1768-9).

Rocca Flea (1247)

The original fortress here, which pre-dates the establishment of the first fortified settlement of Gauldo, was fist documented in 1208 when it came under Perugian control.  The Emperor Frederick II effectively rebuilt it in 1247.  It was subsequently modified on a number of occasions.  For example:
  1. the keep bears the arms of Biordo Michelotto, who built it in 1394; and

  2. the papal legates adapted it to serve as their residence from 1513.  

The fortress passed to the Commune in 1803 and now houses the Museo Civico and the Pinacoteca Comunale. 

San Benedetto (1256)

The monks of the Abbazia di San Benedetto Vecchio (also described on this page) built a new abbey here in 1256.  It was administered by secular commendatory abbots in 1441-1818 and the abbey itself no longer survives.  The church, which preserves the relics of the Blessed Angelus (the patron saint of Gualdo Tadino), has been completely restored since the earthquake of 1997.

San Donato (1255)

The original church of San Donato was part of a Benedictine abbey that  stood on the banks of the Flea.  This abbey was re-established on the present site in 1255.  The complex passed to the Seminario di Nocera Umbra at the end of the 18th century.  The adjacent abbey no longer survives.   The interior of the church was completely restored in 1914.

San Facondino (11th century)

The first church of San Facondino (also described on this page) was probably built on a site slightly to the south of the present church to house the relics of St Facundinus, who died (according to tradition) in 607.  The present church, which seems to have been restored in 1250, still houses the presumed relics of St Facundinus and of his deacon, St Juventius.

San Francesco (ca. 1288-1315)

The Franciscans settled at the Eremo di SS Stefano e Lorenzo (later the Eremo di San Marzio - above) near the first fortified settlement of Gualdo in the early 13th century.  This settlement was destroyed by fire in 1237, and the friars moved elsewhere.  The present church and an adjacent covent were first documented only in 1288.  Its church was consecrated in 1315.   The complex was suppressed in 1871.   The church was restored in 1955-60, at which point a number of interesting frescoes were rediscovered on its walls.  The convent has been demolished. 

Santa Maria dei Raccomandati (13th century)

This church belongs to the Confraternita di Santa Maria dei Raccomandati, which was first documented in 1267: the church itself was first documented in 1315.   It has been restored on a umber of occasions, and little of the original survives (although some interesting fresco fragments have been recentky rediscovered on its walls).

Other Monuments in Gualdo Tadino

This page describes:
  1. the medieval walls (1242), including its two surviving gates:

  2. Porta di San Benedetto, illustrated here; and

  3. Porta San Donato;

  4. Sant’ Agostino (demolished);

  5. Sant’ Ippolito (ca. 1670);

  6. Santa Maria del Piano (1666);

  7. Santa Maria del Purgo (1647);

  8. Santa Maria di Rote (1647, rebuilt in 1927);

  9. Santa Maria di Tadino (1240s), which was transferred to the nuns of Santa Chiara (above) in 1575;

  10. San Nicolò dei Silvestrini (demolished); and

  11. San Rocco (1476).

Return to the home page on Gualdo Tadino.