Key to Umbria: Città di Castello

Santa Veronica (1627-43)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Città di Castello:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums


This was the site the parish church of San Martino. 

It was used for the construction of a Capuchin nunnery, which was financed using a legacy (1623) from Monsignor Giovanni Antonio Fuccioli (who was born in Città di Castello and became an important member of the Curia in Rome). The church was transferred for the use of the nuns, and the parish was subsumed by those of Sant’ Angelo and SS Giacomo e Lucia.

Pope Urban VIII prescribed the way of life that the nuns were to follow in 1642.  When the new nunnery of Santa Chiara delle Cappuccine was completed in 1643, Bishop Cesare Raccagna invited two Capuchin nuns from Perugia, Costanza Danzetti and Cristina Ansidei, to establish the new community here. 

The inscription high up on the facade commemorates the legacy of Monsignor Fuccioli and a restoration of the exterior of the church by Bishop Pietro Boscarini after the earthquake of 1798.

Interior of the Church

High Altar

The relics of St St Veronica Giuliani are preserved under the high altar.   (She joined the community here in 1678 and became abbess in 1716.  She died here in 1727 and was canonised in 1839.)

Altare della Beata Florida Cevoli


The relics of the Blessed Florida Cevoli, a follower of St Veronica Giuliani (above) are preserved under the altar on the left, and she is depicted in the panel (date ?) above it.

Madonna and Child with saints (17th century)

This panel on the altar wall, which is attributed to Giovanni Battista Pacetti, lo Sguazzino, depicts the Madonna and Child in glory with:
  1. St Martin, the original titular of the church; and

  2. three Franciscan saints:

  3. St Antony of Padua on the left (behind St Martin); and

  4. SS Francis and Clare on the right.

Risen Christ and St Martin (17th century)

This panel on the altar on the right [details??]

St Veronica (date?)

The [modern?] stained glass window above the entrance on the counter-facade depicts the stigmatised St Veronica Giuliani above Città di Castello.

Art from the Complex

Annunciation (early 16th century)

This small relief, which was documented on the wall of a room of the nunnery, was moved to the Pinacoteca Comunale shortly after.  It is attributed to Andrea della Robbia or his workshop.  The convent was not completed until 1643 (see above), so this cannot have been its original location.