Key to Umbria: Bevagna

Chiesa del Gonfalone (16th-18th centuries)

This church and the adjacent oratory belonged to the Confraternita del Gonfalone, which was formed in the 13th century and incorporated in 1586 to the Arciconfraternita del Gonfalone in Rome. 

The confraternity, which was once the most important in Bevagna, was probably suppressed in the Napoleonic period.  This panel (1580) of the Madonna della Misericordia (1580), which presumably came from their church or oratory, is now in the choir of San Francesco.  Members of the confraternity, nuns and members of the laity shelter under the Virgin’s cloak.

The oratory was adapted as the Teatro della Concordia in the 19th century, but was superseded in 1886 by the Teatro Francesco Torti, which opened in the ex-Palazzo dei Consoli.

Santa Maria della Consolazione (1735)


This was the church of the Confraternita della Misericordia.

Risen Christ (late 16th century)

This polychrome wooden statue (illustrated here with its companion figure of the Virgin) was documented in 1786, when it was taken in procession to San Michele each Good Friday.  This procession still takes place, and now involves both statues: at other times they occupy chapels on each side of the nave (visible in the photograph above).

Holy Family (1738)

This altarpiece on the high altar is signed by Etienne Parrocel, il Romano and dated by inscription.

Santa Maria in Laurenzia (13th century)


According to tradition, this church was founded in 1249 when Bevagna rebelled against Foligno and destroyed a number of the fortresses that belonged to the Counts of Antignano, among which was the fortress of Santa Maria in Laurenzia.   The families who had lived there moved to Bevagna and built this as their parish church.  However, the earliest surviving reference to it dates to 1293. 

A shrine in Via Madonna delle Grazie (see Walk II) records the murder by the Fascists of Michele Lilli, the priest at Santa Maria in Laurenzia, in 1944. 

The church is now deconsecrated and houses the “Pro Loco”.  Its interior has been irreparably damaged, although the tiny pensile apse survives.


The travertine portal, which has marble capitals and a beautiful grapevine decoration on the arch, is from the 14th century.   Its lunette has a bas-relief portraying the Madonna del Latte and the inscription AVE M GRA PLENA D T  (Ave Maria gratia plena: Dominus tecum). 

The travertine oculus in the sandstone façade seems to be original, albeit that it is off-centre.

Madonna della Rosa (1691)


This church was built to house a miraculous image of the Madonna and Child, in which the baby Jesus held a rose.   The exterior is in the form of a semi-ellipse, while the interior (no longer accessible) has an octagonal plan.  It was partially restored after the earthquake of 1997 but has long ceased to function as a church.

San Vincenzo (12th century)

The first church that was dedicated to St Vincent, the patron saint of Bevagna, was apparently destroyed by the Lombards.  Its successor was documented outside the town walls in 1135.  It was subsequently demolished and its dedication was moved to this church, which housed a community of canons.  The baptistery of Bevagna was moved from San Vincenzo to San Michele in 1377, presumably because San Vincenzo was damaged when the Trinci sacked the town.  It seems never to have recovered.  The church was used as a cinema for a period, but was destroyed by fire in 1986. 

Part of the facade, with Roman fluted pilasters on each side of the portal, fortunately survives.

Art from San Vincenzo

Crucifixion (15th century)

This fresco fragment, which was probably destroyed in 1986, was attributed to the young Pierantonio Mezzastris.  A surviving black and white photograph depicts the crucified Christ with angels,with St John the Evangelist and a bishop saint (presumably St Vincent) to the right.  A lady on the left presumably supported a figure of the swooning  Virgin that had been lost by the time that the photograph was taken.

Latin Inscription (1st century BC)

This inscription (AE 1947, 63) from San Vincenzo reads:





The senate had decreed the posting of this inscription in honour of  Aulus Rubrius, a haruspex (a priest who read the future by examining the entrails of sacrificed animals) from the Etruscan city of Volsinii.   [This inscription is now in the Museo Archeologico].

Return to Monuments of Bevagna. 

Return to Walk I or to Walk II (Madonna della Rosa).

Other Churches

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Bevagna:  Home    History   Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums