Key to Umbria: Terni

Monuments in Terni

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Terni:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Drives    Monuments    Museums

Images below link to detailed pages on the most important monuments in and around Terni

Important Monuments in Terni

Duomo (re-modelled in 1653)

6th century - according to tradition, St Anastasius built the first church here; the apse of an oratory excavated in the portico of the present church probably dates to this period

ca. 830 - Bishop Liutardus of Spoleto verified the rediscovery of the relics of St Anastasius, probably during the reconstruction of the church

12th century - new church of Santa Maria Interamnes built on the site;

1218 - Pope Honorius III restored the independent diocese of Terni; Prior Ranierio of Santa Maria Interamnes became Bishop of Terni and his church became the Duomo of the new diocese

1653 - Bishop Cardinal Francesco Angelo Rapaccioli rebuilt the church and re-consecrated it in honour of Santa Maria Assunta


San Valentino (1605-30)

4th century - church dedicated to St Valentine built above the old Roman cemetery in which he had been buried 

8th century - Benedictines built a monastery on the site, when the area was part of the diocese of Narni  

1255 - church passed to the new diocese of Terni, but was subsequently abandoned 

1605 - relics of St Valentine found on the site; construction of the present church began soon after, and a community of Discalced Carmelites moved to the adjoining convent 

1860 - Carmelites were forced to leave the convent; returned in 1906


San Salvatore (11th century)

1072 - church first documented

14th century - important frescoes painted in Cappella Manassei

1909 - Roman domus (1st century AD) discovered under church


San Francesco (1265-88)

ca. 1218 - according to tradition, Bishop Ranierio gave an oratory on this site to St Francis

13th century - new church built and decorated after papal indulgences in 1259 and 1288

ca. 1450 - Bartolomeo di Tommaso painted scenes from the Last Judgement in the Cappella dei Paradisi

1866 - Franciscan community suppressed; church subsequently abandoned

1927-2002 - complex used by Salesians of St John Bosco

Church recently re-opened after extensive restoration 


San Pietro (1287)

1287 - Augustinians moved from SS Siro e Bartolomeo (below) to a parish church here, which they rebuilt

14th century - Dormition of the Virgin, autograph work of the so-called Maestro della Dormitio di Terni, painted in chapel on left

1703 - church badly damaged in earthquake

1866 - Augustinian community suppressed

1943 - church damaged in bombing of the Second World War

Church still in use: convent houses a school and the ambulance service


Other Monuments in Terni

Cascata delle Marmore

One of the highest artificial waterfalls in Europe 

274 BC - Manius Curius Dentatus opened an artificial channel to divert the Velino River over a precipice and into the Nera, to prevent flooding of plain of Rieti

1422 - Pope Gregory XII commissioned a new canal, but problems with flooding persisted

16th century - further papal initiatives

1787 - waterfall took on current appearance

19th century - started to be used for industrial purposes

1929 - adapted to form the hydroelectric complex



(ca. 1372)

[Link to Cassero]

1358 - “cassarum pontis Sancti Antonii” first documented; Cardinal Gil Albornoz had probably built it as part of the papal reconquest of Umbria

1442 - demolished after a short but eventful history

City Walls, Gates and Bridges

Page describes:

  1. the Roman and medieval walls of Terni;

  2. the five medieval gates:

  3. Porta Romana;

  4. Porta Sant’ Angelo, illustrated above;

  5. Porta San Giovanni;

  6. Porta del Sesto; and

  7. Porta Spoletina; and

  8. the three bridges over the Nera:

  9. Ponte di Sant’ Antonio;

  10. Ponte Romano; and

  11. Ponte del Sesto


Confraternita di San Nicandro

Important confraternity, dedicated to the needs of the poor, the sick, and pilgrims

1291 - received church of San Nicandro; also used San Cleto and built adjacent Ospedale dei Pellegrini

ca. 1400 - San Cleto Triptych (illustrated above) painted for  second church

1860 - suppressed


Franciscan Nunneries

in Terni

Page describes:

  1. San Paolo di Galleto (ca. 1228-1458);

  2. Santa Caterina (documented in 14th century);

  3. San Procolo (1508); and

  4. SS Annunziata (1542) 

16th century - altarpiece illustrated above painted for San Procolo

1862 - nuns from the last two of these nunneries moved to Santa Maria dell’ Oro (below)

1990 - after other moves, nuns acquired Monastero di SS Annunziata, Colleluna


Palazzo Comunale (1862-78)

1295 - original Palazzo del Podestà built here

1516 - Palazzo Apostolico built next to it

1564 - failure of anti-papal Banderari revolt; both palaces adapted as seat of papal government

1703 - destroyed in earthquake

1862-78 - rebuilt by Benedetto Faustini after unification

1972 - municipal government left this palace for Palazzo Spada (below)

1994 -restored

Now houses Biblioteca Comunale


Palazzo di Sanità

(19th century)

Site of:

  1. Oratorio di San Gregorio;

  2. SS Siro e Bartolomeo; and

  3. Oratorio di Santa Lucia, which belonged to Confraternita del Suffragio

1548 - Marcantonio Rustici built church of Santa Lucia here for the confraternity

1620 - Jesuits acquired church and built an adjacent convent and college

1860 - suppressed; complex subsequently  had various functions

1980s - housed the municipal health services and became known as the Palazzo di Sanità

2000 - adapted as offices of the Provincial Government; traces of an Iron Age settlement and of a Roman domus found at this time


Palazzo Vescovile and Palazzo del Seminario (ca. 1650-1740)

1218 - Palazzo Vescovile built to left of Duomo, on site of Roman amphitheatre (below)

1653  - Bishop Francesco Angelo Rapaccioli commissioned an extension  of Palazzo Vescovile; he also established the seminary and commissioned Palazzo del Seminario, to the right of the Duomo

Palazzo del Seminario now houses the Museo Diocesano.


Palazzo Gazzoli


1795 - Cardinal Luigi Gazzoli built this palace to a design by Andrea Vici

2000-8 - Pinacoteca Comunale housed here Remains found in courtyard during a recent restoration probably belonged to Roman baths


Palazzo Mazzancolli

(15th century)

Giovanni Mazzancolli built this palace

18th century - fell into ruins when family became extinct

1873 - bought by Congregazione di Carità, who restored it

1879 - Monte di Pietà moved here

1933 - Fascist party bought palace

1945 - passed to Commune

1970 - became seat of city archives


Palazzo Spada


1555 - Michelangelo Spada, commissioned this palace, probably from Silvestro Sallustio Peruzzi 

1972 - passed to the Commune: its headquarters moved here from Palazzo Comunale (above)


Other Patrician


This page describes:

  1. Palazzo Carrara (ca. 1370)

  2. Palazzo Giocosi Mariani (16th century)

  3. Palazzo Manassei (17th century)

  4. Palazzo Montani (17th century)

  5. Palazzo Rosci (16th century; and

  6. Torre Barbarasa (13th century)


Roman Monuments

(1st century AD)

This page describes the following monuments from the Roman city:

  1. the amphitheatre, illustrated above; and

  2. the theatre


Sant' Alò

(11th century)

1252-4 - occupied by Augustinians, who built an adjoining convent

ca. 1400 - probably passed to Poor Clares

18th century - passed to Knights of Malta

1904 - Roman archeological fragments found near the Duomo embedded in walls

1959 - after a long period of secular use, acquired by the diocese, re-consecrated and restored; now used by an Orthodox community from Romania.


Sant’ Antonio da Padova (1924-30)

1924 - church designed by Cesare Bazzani and assumed parish role of San Tommaso (below)

1943 -  badly damaged during the bombardment of the Second World War

1967  - restored to a design by Enrico Lenti


San Cristoforo

(12th or 13th century)

According to tradition, this ancient church had close associations with St Francis  1943 - seriously damaged during Second World War

1949 - largely rebuilt, in a style close to the original

Still in use; preserves some interesting frescoes


Santa Croce

(12th century)

Ancient parish church

17th century - church re-modelled


San Giovannino


1231 - parish church documented as a possession of the Abbazia di San Pietro in Valle; known as San Giovanni Evangelista de Platea because it stood on the central piazza of the city

1642 - Don Angelo Tramazzoli rebuilt it 

1892 - Bishop Antonio Belli re-consecrated it


San Lorenzo

(ca. 1100)

Ancient parish church

1948 - restoration revealed that it comprised two separate structures:

  1. the original church; and

  2. an extension (1616-8) to the left

The older structure has been restored to something like its original appearance


San Marco

(9th century?)

Ancient parish church

1606 - fresco (15th century) illustrated above, which is attributed to Bartolomeo da Miranda, was moved from the facade to the high altar, where it remains

18th century - church re-modelled

Now deconsecrated and used for exhibitions


Santa Maria del Carmine (1602-1783)

16th century - Confraternita del Carmine commissioned an oratory on this site to house a venerated fresco (early 15th century) known as the Madonna del Carmine, which was on the walls of the amphitheatre (above)

1602- confraternity commissioned present church

It has been recently restored, and is now used as an auditorium


Santa Maria del Cassero (1546-84)

1546 - Compagnia del SS Sacramento founded this church on the site of the demolished Cassero (above) to house a venerated image (16th century) of the Madonna and Child 

1841 - church demolished; venerated image moved to a tabernacle (illustrated here) in what is now Palazzo Rosci (above)


Santa Maria delle Grazie (1472-82)

1472 - second church and convent of Observant Franciscans  in Terni commissioned here

ca. 1550 - rebuilt; original portal and the facade survive

17th century - three chapels built on left

1703 - apse destroyed in earthquake

1779 - apse rebuilt

1798-9 - friars moved temporarily to San Valentino (above); French authorities used the convent as a military hospital

1865 - suppressed; art transferred to Pinacoteca; convent used as an old people’s home (now ruined)

Church occasionally open


Santa Maria del Monumento

(15th century)

15th century - church built on site of a Roman funerary monument to house a venerated image of the Madonna della Misericordia (the surviving part of which was stolen in 1984)

1474 - church passed to a community of Jeronymites, who restored and extended it

ca. 1800 - Jeronymites left Terni

1839 - Commune acquired the site and established the adjacent cemetery

What is now the cemetery church preserves a number of interesting frescoes


Santa Maria dell’ Oro (1434-41)

1434 - first church and convent of Observant Franciscans in Terni commissioned here

1860 - community suppressed

1860-95 - nuns from San Procolo and SS Annunziata (above) moved here

1910 - church became a parish church; convent used as a school until 1927, when it was adapted as an old people’s home


Santa Teresa


[Link to

Monastero di Santa Teresa]

One of the first nunneries in Italy belonging to the female order of reformed Carmelites

1642-  nuns built a new church, which was dedicated to St Joseph

1810 - nuns were forced to leave; complex used as a barracks

1943 - complex was damaged in the bombardment of the Second Wold War and subsequently demolished

San Tommaso


Site of an ancient parish church, which was used for political meetings in the early days of the Commune

1703 - church destroyed in earthquake and subsequently rebuilt

ca. 1924 -  deconsecrated and its parish role transferred to Sant’ Antonio da Padova (above)

Now houses the Mostra Permanente di Paleontologia (Paleontological Collection) 


Tre Monumenti

(3rd century AD)

1568 - Pope Pius V apparently ordered demolition of three monuments; according to tradition, they commemorated:

  1. the historian Gaius Cornelius Tacitus (died ca. 117 AD);

  2. the Emperor Tacitus (275-6 AD) and

  3. the Emperor Florianus (276 AD), his half-brother and successor

1907 - bases of three Roman funerary monuments found in what became Piazza Tre Monumenti (illustrated here); assumed (unreliably) to have belonged to the monuments above



This page describes:

  1. Teatro Verdi (1840-99), illustrated above; and

  2. the Politeama Lucioli (1816, demolished in 1971)


Return to the home page on Terni.