Key to Umbria: Spoleto

San Tommaso (13th century)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Spoleto:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Drives    Monuments    Museums

This nunnery was first documented in 1235, when Pope Gregory IX moved the nuns from the suppressed nunnery of San Concordio (later San Salvatore) here.

In 1259, Pope Alexander IV approved the decision of Bishop Bartolomeo Accorombani to transfer the nuns to the new hospice of Santa Maria della Stella.

The church has been adapted for residential use, but its lovely apse survives.

CIL XI 4982 ??

Return to Monuments of Spoleto.

Return to Walk IV.