Key to Umbria: Spoleto

Oratorio di San Sebastiano (17th century) 

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact


Spoleto:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Drives    Monuments    Museums

A notary named Giovanni di Lucca built the original oratory here to commemorate the end of an epidemic.  It became a popular cult site and the focus of penitential processions that began at the Arco di Monterone.  The Commune took it over and extended it over the period 1484-91.

The church was rebuilt in the 17th century but by the 18th century it was used only on the feast of St Sebastian.  It was subsequently de-consecrated and now houses the excellent Ristorante della Sacrestia.

Return to Monuments of Spoleto.

Return to Walk IV.