Key to Umbria: Spoleto

Santa Maria del Massaccio (1490-2),

later San Rocco 

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact


Spoleto:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Drives    Monuments    Museums

This church, which was originally dedicated as Santa Maria del Massaccio formed part of a hospice and refuge for pilgrims.  The present structure was designed  by Francesco di Bartolomeo da Pietrasanta, who received payments for it in 1490-2.   Its exterior was never finished.

The church acquired its present dedication in 1790 when the earlier church of San Rocco in what is now Piazza Carducci was demolished to make way for the enlargement of San Luca.

The church is closed but occasionally used for exhibitions.

Return to Monuments of Spoleto.

Return to Walk IV.