Key to Umbria: Spoleto

Sant’ Angelo (12th century)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Spoleto:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Drives    Monuments    Museums

This was the site of an ancient hospice that belonged to the hermits of Monteluco.  A number of Augustinian nuns moved here from Santa Maria della Stella in 1519 because they did not want to join the Lateran Congregation of the Augustinian Canonesses (a change made at Santa Maria della Stella in 1502). 

In 1556, Bishop Alessandro Farnese  gave them part of the responsibility for the administration of the hospice of Santa Croce  (later San Carlo Borromeo), an obligation they retained until 1716.

The nuns from Santa Maria della Stella built the nunnery here in 1502-19 and re-modeled the church in the 18th century. 

The complex passed to the Congregazione delle Suore Oblate del Bambino Gesù  in 1834.  (This order was founded in Rome in 1671 and had its first nunnery outside Rome in Spoleto [where ??] from 1683).

The door in the wall leads to an inner courtyard, with the entrance to the church on the far side and the nunnery to the left.  The illustrated fresco (15th century), which is to the left of the entrance to the church, depicts the Madonna and Child enthroned with angels and a kneeling donor. 

Return to Monuments of Spoleto.

Return to Walk III.