Key to Umbria: Spoleto

Monastero delle Palazze:

San Gregorio Minore and Sant' Omobono

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Spoleto:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Drives    Monuments    Museums

San Gregorio Minore (1725)

This church was built above part of the Roman amphitheatre, the presumed site of the martyrdom of St Gregory of Spoleto in 303 AD.  The first church here was documented in 1115.

Pope Boniface IX ceded the church to a community of Poor Clares from Santa Maria inter Angelos  in 1404, and they moved here two years later.  They built their nunnery to the right of the church on a site that occupied about a quarter of the amphitheatre.  It was known from this time as San Gregorio delle Palazze.

Bishop Carlo Giacinto Lascaris suppressed the nunnery of Santa Caterina in 1717 and transferred the remaining nuns there to San Gregorio Minore.  The church was rebuilt in 1725. 

The community was suppressed in 1860 and the nuns moved to Sant' Omobono.

Sant' Omobono (12th century) 


Facade of the church of St Omobono                  

This was originally a parish church dedicated as San Vincenzo.

As noted above community of Poor Clares established a nunnery here in 1860, when they were forced to leave San Gregorio Minore.  This nunnery is still known as the Monastero del Palazzo, the title that the nuns brought with them.  There are traces of the Roman wall in its orchard.

The facade of the church (illustrated above) is in Via della Ponzianino. There are two other interesting views of the complex:

  1. The main entrance to the nunnery (in restoration at January 2009) is seen in Piazza della Misercordia.

  1. The tribune and campanile of the church is seen in Via Cecili.

Return to Monuments of Spoleto.

Return to: Walk II (Sant’ Omobono); or Walk III (San Gregorio Minore).