Key to Umbria: Assisi

Santa Maria della Rocchicciola (13th century)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Assisi:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums 

The friars of San Francesco in Assisi had a small hermitage here from the 13th century.  It was one of the hermitages that was given to the Blessed Paoluccio de' Trinci in in 1380, in the early days of the Franciscan reform movement.  The friars returned to the Conventual Franciscans before 1464. 

The complex now belongs to the Comunità Adveniat Santa Maria in Arce. (Ring the bell for access to the church).


The simple interior is in three parts:

  1. the main part of the church, depicted above;

  2. a smaller rectangular presbytery, in front of the high altar; and

  3. the semi-circular apse, behind the high altar.

It contains a number of interesting works of art.

Stigmatisation of St Francis (early 14th century)

This damaged fresco on the right wall of the presbytery is attributed to the Maestro di Figline.

Maestà with saints (early 14th century)

This fresco on the right wall depicts the Madonna and Child with SS Francis and Clare.

Frescoes (14th century)

These frescoes in the apse depict:

  1. Christ among the Doctors, on the left; and

  2. the Flight into Egypt;

  3. the Presentation of Christ in the Temple.

Frescoes (ca. 1487)

Three frescoes are attributed to Bartolomeo Caporali:

  1. Madonna and Child with SS Jerome and Antony of Padua on the counter-facade, which is dated 1487 by inscription; and

  2. a figures of St Mary Magdalene, on the right wall; and

  3. a figures of St Antony Abbo, on the left wall.

Crucifix (15th century)

This painted crucifix above the apse is attributed to Matteo da Gualdo.

Maestà with saints (early 16th century)

This panel on the high altar, which depicts the Madonna and Child with SS Francis and Antony of Padua, is attributed to Giovanni di Pietro, lo Spagna.

Return to Monuments of Assisi.

Return to Around Assisi.

Return to the home page on Assisi.