Key to Umbria: Trevi

Other Patrician Palaces 

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Trevi:  Home    History    Art     Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums 

The palaces owned by the Valenti family have their own page in this site.

Palazzo Approvati (1497)

The inscription on the portal records that Cristoforo Approvati, who was a doctor, built this palace.  The inscription also included the family's Cicerian motto: "VIRTUTE DUCE COMITE FORTUNA" (with virtue as a guide and fortune as a companion).

Palazzo Lucarini (15th century)

This palace, which belonged to the Lucarini family, has two portals:
  1. The smaller portal (16th century) bears the arms of the Lucarini and Valenti families.

  2. The larger portal, like the windows above, dates to the 17th century. 

Virgilio Lucarini established a seminary here in 1674 that became known as the Collegio Lucarini.  The palace was damaged by an earthquake in 1832, at which point the college was moved to Palazzo dei Valenti di Riosecco (see below) and then to the convent of San Francesco

In 1993, Giancarlo Politi (the founder of the Flash Art Magazine and a native of Trevi) founded the Flash Art Museum in the palace.  It recently closed, and the palace now houses the Centro per l’ Arte Contemporanea.

Palazzo Natalucci

The palace is one of several in Trevi that belonged to the Natalucci family.  It has been adapted over  the centuries, and owes its neo-Classical facade to the widening of the road in front of it in 1857.

The palace seems to have been the location of the printing factory that the German printer Johann Reinhardt established in Trevi with members of the Lucarini family in 1470.  This was only the fourth such establishment in Italy.  Unfortunately, the business did not prosper: in 1472, its assets were sold to Evangelista Angelini da Trevi, who set up a business in Foligno (on the site of Palazzo Orfini there) with another German printer, Johann Neumeister.

The palace now houses the Hotel Trevi.

Palazzo Petrelli (16th century)

The palace bears the arms of the Petrelli and Petroni families.  The portal (17th century) at right angles to the main facade originally provided access to the garden.

Palazzo Petroni (ca. 1600)


          Facade in Via del Duomo            Facade in Vicola del Sette              Facade in Via Dogali

Grifone Petroni built this huge palace, which incorporates a number of earlier buildings.  The finest of the palace’s three facades is in Via Dogali.

Portico del Mostaccio, which was another gate in the inner walls, has been incorporated into Palazzo Petroni Bartolini (in Via Dogali), as has the ex-church of San Pio V next to it. 

Villa Fabri (1603)

I have not visited it yet, but there is an excellent virtual tour in the website of Pro Trevi.  See also this webpage.

Return to Monuments of Trevi.

Return to the Walk around Trevi.