Key to Umbria: Amelia

Sant' Angelo (16th century) 

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact


Amelia:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walk    Monuments    Museums


The church and monastery here, which were built above the medieval walls, belonged originally to the Jesuits. 

In 1601, Bishop Antonio Maria Graziani invited the Somaschi Fathers to Amelia and gave them the complex.  They enjoyed the patronage of the Petrignani family, and in 1620 they established a seminary on the site.   They left Amelia after the Napoleonic occupation and the church was deconsecrated.  The complex has been recently restored and now houses the Scuola di Musica di Amelia.
The brick façade has two towers; the one on the right contains a clock that has only six hours marked on its face.

Art from Sant’ Angelo

The frescoes (17th century) in Sant’ Angelo, which included those in the lunettes that were attributed to the Giuseppe Cesari, il Cavalier d’ Arpino, have been destroyed.  Most of its altarpieces are now in the Pinacoteca.  

A son of the artist Giacinto Gimignani belonged to the Collegio del Somaschi at Sant’ Angelo.  Two panels by the artist were documented in the church:
  1. Christ on the Cross (17th century)

  2. This altarpiece, which was documented in the sacristy of the church, was transferred to the Civic Collection but subsequently lost.

  3. St Michael defeating the Devil (1677)

  4. This altarpiece from the church, which is signed and dated by inscription, is now among those from Sant’ Angelo in the Pinacoteca (illustrated here).

A wooden statue of the Madonna di Loreto (a black Madonna and Child) on the counter-façade of Santa Lucia also came from Sant’ Angelo.

Return to Monuments of Amelia.

Return to the Walk around Amelia.