Key to Umbria: Amelia


Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact


Amelia:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walk    Monuments    Museums

The Pinacoteca is on the 2nd floor of the ex -Collegio Boccarini

First Room

The paintings in this room are mostly portraits of prominent men from Amelia.

Portrait of Alessandro Geraldini (17th century) 

The subject of this  portrait (1628) is sometimes said to be  Alessandro Geraldini, who was one of the most important historical figures from Amelia. However, an inscription found during its restoration in 1992 recorded the name of the artist, Tommaso Campana, the date, and the name of the subject, Paolo Torello, Archbishop of Rossano, who was a nephew of Pope Paul V.

Second Room

St Antony Abbot Enthroned (1474-5)

This panel was documented in the Observant Franciscans’ Convento di San Giovanni Battista in 1872.  This convent at Villa San Giovanni outside Amelia, which belonged to the Observant Franciscans, is now privately owned.

Umberto Gnoli attributed it to Pier Matteo d’ Amelia in 1924 and Federico Zeri included it in the proposed corpus of this artist that he assembled in 1953.  In 1992, a document from the archives of Terni was published that related to payments made in 1474 for an altarpiece for an altar in San Giovanni Battista that was dedicated to St Antony Abbot, and this is usually taken as a reference to this panel.

The panel, which was restored in 1966, depicts St Antony with his usual attributes, including a pilgrim’s staff and a pig at his feet.  He holds an open book in his left hand and his right hand is raised in blessing.  

There is a close link between this panel and a polychrome wooden statue (1475) of St Antony Abbot enthroned by Lorenzo di Pietro, il Vecchietta, which is now in the Duomo, Narni

St John the Baptist Altarpiece (ca. 1500)

This panel, whichis attributed to an unknown follower of Piermatteo d’ Amelia, was documented [when?] in San Giovanni Decollato.  This is unlikely to have been its original location: the presence of St Francis suggests a Franciscan location, probably the Observant Franciscans’ Convento di San Giovanni Battista (see above).

The altarpiece depicts:

  1. the Madonna and Child enthroned with SS John the Baptist and Francis against a gold background, in the main panel;

  2. God the Father with angels, in the lunette (which survives in its original frame); and

  3. tondi of the Pietà with Virgin and St John the Evangelistin the predella. 

Crucifixion with saints (1557) 

This altarpiece of the Crucifixion with SS Firmina and Olympias probably came from the Duomo.  The inscription originally recorded the name of the artist, Livio Agresti and still records the date.

Altarpieces from Sant’ Angelo (17th and 18th centuries)

Most of the altarpieces in this room came from the ex-church of Sant’ Angelo.  These originally included two by Giacinto Gimignani, whose son belonged to the Collegio del Somaschi at Sant’ Angelo:
  1. Christ on the Cross (17th century)

  2. This altarpiece, which was documented in the sacristy of Sant’ Angelo, was transferred to the Civic Collection but subsequently lost.

  3. St Michael defeating the Devil (1677)

  4. This altarpiece, which is signed and dated by inscription, survives in the Pinacoteca (illustrated here).

For opening hours, see the website of the Provincia di Terni

Return to Museums of Amelia.

Return to the Walk around Amelia.