Key to Umbria: Perugia

San Manno (13th century)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact

Perugia:  Home    History   Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums

This was the site of an ancient Camaldolese monastery. 

It passed to the Templars, who established a fortified monastery on the site.  In 1307, after the suppression of the Templars, the complex became the residence of the Master of the Canons of the Holy Sepulchre, whose main priory was at San Luca.  

The complex at San Manno passed to the Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem (Knights of Malta) in 1356 and remains in their ownership.

The adjacent farmhouse was built in the 16th century, and the mill was installed early in the 20th century.

The crypt of the church was adapted from an Etruscan hypogeum that is now known as the Ipogeo di San Manno.


[Describe what remains of the church.  Traces of 13th century frescoes.  Restored in 2000 by the Comunità Magnificat.] 

Madonna and Child with saints (1585)

This fresco in San Manno was originally signed by Silla Piccinini and dated by inscription.  It depicts the Madonna and Child in glory, with SS John the Baptist and Magnus, and a donor at the lower right.