Key to Umbria: Orvieto

Blessed Ambrose of Massa (17th April)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Orvieto:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums


Fra Ambrose, from Cotone near Massa Marittima, was a parish priest until 1224, when he met Fra Morico, a companion of St Francis, and joined the new Franciscan Order.  He subsequently moved to the hermitage at San Pietro in Vetere, Orvieto.  When he died there in 1240, miracles were reported at his grave.  Pope Gregory IX requested that accounts of them should be compiled, with a view to his canonisation.   The development of the cult was instrumental in raising funds for the new church of San Francesco.

Pope Innocent IV re-opened the  canonisation process in 1250, but it was never completed.   Pope Alexander IV complained about the indecency of the place in which the relics were interred, which led to their translation to a more fitting location in 1257.  [Where are they now?]

Return to Saints of Orvieto.