Key to Umbria: Orvieto

Medieval Aqueduct (ca. 1276)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Orvieto:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums

The Venetian hydraulic engineer, Buoninsegna built this aqueduct, which fed a number of fountains in the city, including one in Piazza Maggiore (now Piazza della Repubblica - see Walk II) that was built at about the same time. 

The aqueduct deteriorated from at least the time of the Black Death (1348). 

A major restoration project was carried out on the main fountain and on the aqueduct in 1503.  Nevertheless, the city relied increasingly on the well known as the Pozzo di San Patrizio and on cisterns that collected rain water. 

The main fountain was dismantled in 1563. 

By the 17th century, the aqueduct fed relatively few fountains in the city.  In 1682, it was decided to divert what little water it still provided to the area of Campo della Fiera.

The footpath along the aqueduct from the city to the Convento dei Cappuccini is described in Walk IV.

Return to Monuments of Orvieto.

Return to Walk IV.