Key to Umbria: Assisi

Santa Chiara: Exterior

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Assisi:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums 

Santa Chiara: Main page     Exterior     Interior     Cappella di San Giorgio

The pink and white stone facade has a central portal with reliefs of lions on each side and a fine rose window above.  The small door to the right leads to the sacristy, which was built in the 14th century on a small courtyard that led to the convent.  The flying buttresses (visible along the left side but hidden within the convent on the right) were added in 1351 to support the vault. 

The five-sided Cappella di Sant Agnese was built next to the left transept in the 14th century. 

The campanile to the right of the polygonal apse is the tallest in Assisi; its current conical spire was built in 1926.

The nunnery to the right of the church was enclosed by the new circuit of city walls [when ??]  The oldest part is to the right of the facade, while the buildings behind were added in the 14th - 16th centuries.

Proceed to the interior of Santa Chiara

Return to main page on Santa Chiara.

Return to Walk II.

Return to the home page on Assisi.