Key to Umbria: Amelia

Sant’ Agostino (14th century)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact


Amelia:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walk    Monuments    Museums

The Augustinian Bishop Orlando of Narni (1261-1303) established a communtiy of friars from is order in Narni in 1266.  In 1288, he consecrated their church, which was built on the site of the 11th century chapel of San Pancrazio.

The construction history of the present church is unknown, but its Gothic style suggests that it was built in the 14th century.


The exterior preserves its original appearance.   The fine polygonal apse can be seen from Via Posterola; its bifore windows were closed as part of the 18th century remodelling of the interior (see below).



The arms at the base of the rose window are those of Angelo Petrignani, who apparently completed or perhaps restored the façade in 1477.  The fine Gothic portal, which has clustered columns and allegorical reliefs, probably belonged to an earlier phase of the church's construction.  

Fresco (14th century)

The fresco in the lunette above the portal, which depicts the Madonna and Child with St Augustine and another Augustinian saint, was probably the work of a Sienese artist. 


The interior was extensively remodelled in the period 1747-52, although it retains its original terracotta pavement.  [Gothic remnants in Cappella Cansacchi - last chapel on the right ???]

Trinity with saints (17th century)

This altarpiece, which is on the 1st altar on the left, is attributed to Giacinto Gimignani.  It depicts the figures of the Trinity with SS Monica, Rita and Clare of Montefalco.

Immaculate Virgin with saints (17th century)

This altarpiece, which is on the 1st altar on the right, is attributed to Antonio Circignani, il Pomarancio, who is recorded in Amelia in 1613.  It depicts the Virgin in glory, with SS Thomas, Augustine and Charles Borromeo. 

Frescoes (1746-50)


These frescoes by Francesco Appiani depict:

  1. three frescoes in the apse:

  2. the Nativity;

  3. the martyrdom of St Pancras; and

  4. the Holy Family with St Anne (dated 1750); and

  5. St Augustine in glory, in the vault, signed by Francesco Appiani and dated 1746.


A door in the apse to the right of the high altar leads to the sacristy, which still retains its Gothic vaults. 

Frescoes (14th century)

[A number of frescoes that emerged during recent restoration include:

  1. four sinopie, one of which represents an Augustinian friar contemplating the Tree of Life; and

  2. a fragment of a Crucifixion with the Virgin and (presumably) St John the Evangelist.]

Cloister (1492)

The door to the right of the façade, which is flanked by interesting old columns (one of granite and one of marble), leads to the cloister of the adjacent convent.  

Return to Monuments of Amelia.

Return to the Walk around Amelia.