Key to Umbria: Spello

A house here that belonged to the Accademici dei Quieti was restored in 1789 and transformed into a theatre, without the permission of the Sacra Congregazione del Buon Governo.  Fortunately the academy was able to reach an amicable agreement with the Apostolic Visitor, Monsignor Ciavoli.

The theatre had to be rebuilt after an earthquake in 1799.  The Perugian architect, Alessio Lorenzini designed a new theatre with a capacity of some 200 spectators.  It was restored in 1880 but subsequently fell into disrepair and was abandoned.

The theatre was restored and re-opened as Teatro Subasio in 1995.

The programme for 2009-10 is on this website.

Return to Monuments of Spello. 

Return to Walk II.

Teatro Civico (1799)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Spello:  Home    History    Saints    Art    Walks    Monuments    Museums