Key to Umbria: Gualdo Tadino

Public Palaces of Gualdo Tadino

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Gualdo Tadino:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums

Torre Civica (12th century)

This is all that remains of the medieval Palazzo del Podestà, which was surrounded by a moat and often refered to as “Rocca Minore”.  Most of the palace was destroyed the earthquake of 1751.  The late baroque lantern of the surviving tower was added after  the earthquake. 

Palazzo del Podestà (18th century)

This palace (to the left in the photograph above), which was built after the earthquake of 1751, now houses the Museo Regionale dell’Emigrazione Pietro Conti.

Palazzo Comunale (1768-9)

This palace was built after the earthquake of 1751 on the ruins of the old Palazzo delle Arti e Priori.  It is made up of three rooms, one over the other, which now house a museum that documents the experiences of those who emigrated from Italy in the 18th and 19th centuries. 

Panels (17th century)

These panels in the Pinacoteca Comunale, which are attributed to Francesco Allegrini, probably came from Palazzo Comunale.  They depict:

  1. the Judgement of Solomon; and

  2. Lot and his Daughters.