Key to Umbria: Amelia

Palazzo Comunale (early 19th century)

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact


Amelia:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walk    Monuments    Museums

The magistrates of Amelia originally met in the Palazzo degli Anziani (1216) in what is now Piazza Matteotti, but this building collapsed in 1817, when the cisterns below gave way.  The present Palazzo Comunale was adapted from the nearby palace of Anchise Cansacchi.  

The Sala Consiliare contains interesting frescoes (16th century) that have recently been restored.  Visits can be arranged by calling  0744 976220 (or by e mail: [email protected]).

The portal at the left in this photograph leads to a courtyard that housed the civic archeological collection for most of the 20th century.  It still contains archeological fragments.

Archeological Fragments

Roman Arches


These fragments (one on each side of the courtyard), which were apparently unearthed during the excavations near Sant’ Elisabetta (also called Santa Lucia - see the Walk around Amelia) in 1839-40, may have come from the Roman theatre.  Other related finds from these excavations are now in the Museo Archeologico.

Arches and Columns (ca. 1200)

The arches recomposed on the walls of the courtyard probably came from the church of Santa Firmina at Luchiano, which was excavated in 1931.  This church had probably originally housed the relics of SS Firmina and Olympias.

Inscription (1332)

This inscription celebrates the reign of the Ghibelline Emperor Louis IV, who was crowned in Rome  against the withes of the papacy in 1327.  He left Italy somewhat ignominiously in 1330, but he obviously retained supporters in Ghibelline cities like Amelia for a period thereafter.

Return to Monuments of Amelia.

Return to the Walk around Amelia.