Key to Umbria: Otricoli

Walk around Otricoli

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact 


Otricoli:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks    Monuments    Museums

Otricoli, viewed from the site of Ocriculum

Having explored Ocriculum, you approach Otricoli at Porta San Severino. 

Just before the gates, turn left along Via della Valle.  The Iron Age walls (4th century BC) formed the foundations of the medieval circuit (documented in 1091).  The best surviving stretch is that near the remains of the Rocca [date ???] beside Porta Maggiore (15th century), the  gate at the north of the town.

Palazzo Birelli

[Roman remains in courtyard]

Take a short detour to the left along [name of street ??] to San Salvatore.

San Salvatore [Date ??]

During the restoration of a fresco (14th century) of the Crucifixion in this church, a number of frescoes (13th century) were discovered underneath.  These important works, which are among the oldest to survive in Umbria, are currently being restored. 

Casa Squarti Perla (18th century)

[Roman remains embedded in portico]

San Giuseppe di Leonessa (17th century?)

The Capuchin St Joseph of Leonessa (1566 - 1612) preached at Otricoli during lent in the Jubilee year of 1600, and a confraternity dedicated to him was subsequently formed in the city.  [Is this their church?].  He was canonised in 1745.

Via Roma - porticoes - way station for changing horses

Palazzo Comunale

Column in the courtyard.  Museum.

Collegiata di Santa Maria Assunta

Link to the page on Santa Maria Assunta.

Casa Papi

[Remains of an altar near the portal; mascheroni, frieze, Roman remains in courtyard]

San Severino


Porta San Severino (again)

Villa Basilj Floridi

[Roman collection]

Return to the page on Walks in Otricoli.