Key to Umbria: Narni

San Giovenale: Chapels 

Umbria:  Home   Cities    History    Art    Hagiography    Contact  
Narni:  Home    History    Art    Saints    Walks   Monuments    Museums 

San Giovenale:  Main page;  Interior;  Sacello di San Cassio;  Chapels;  Frescoes

This page describes the main chapels of San Giovenale.  Those on the right include:

  1. the Cappella dei Muratori, at the end of the aisle nearest the counter-facade;

  2. the Cappella Vecchia della SS Sacramento, off the 3rd bay of the aisle;

  3. the Cappella della Madonna del Ponte, off the 5th bay of the aisle;

  4. the Cappella della Beata Lucia, in the right transept; and

  5. the Cappella Nuova della SS Sacramento, to the right of the presbytery.

The page also describes the Cappella della Consolazione, off the 5th bay of the left aisle.

Cappella dei Muratori (1497)

This chapel at the junction of the right aisle and the counter-facade belonged to the Università dei Muratori (stone masons' guild).  It has an exterior entrance in the portico on the facade, which members of the guild built in 1497.

The chapel now serves as the baptistery.  Bishop Pedro Gormaz (1490-1515) commissioned the font, which includes his arms among those shown in relief around it.  It also has:
  1. a relief of St Juvenal; and

  2. a statue of St John he Baptist at its summit.



Cappella Vecchia del SS Sacramento (1499)

This lovely Renaissance chapel has a coffered ceiling and its walls contain gilded reliefs of Eucharistic subjects.   The tabernacle  for the host is embedded in the back wall. 

The marble pavement in the bay outside this chapel originally extended throughout the church.  The arch in the colonnade opposite the chapel has a coffered ceiling that is similar to that of the chapel itself.

Cappella della Madonna del Ponte

This chapel, which was also known as the Cappella del Crocifisso and the Cappella Eroli, received this dedication in 1754, when Cardinal Carlo Maria Sacripante translated a detached fresco of the Madonna and Child from Santa Maria del Ponte to the Duomo and crowned its figures.

The fresco was then returned to its original location.  The panel on the altar of this chapel is a free copy of it.

Cappella della Beata Lucia (1710-14)


This chapel in the right transept was originally dedicated to St Catherine of Alexandria.  Cardinal Giuseppe Sacripante acquired it in the early 18th century as a burial chapel for his family in Narni.  He obtained the confirmation of the cult of the Blessed Lucy of Narni for Narni and Viterbo from Pope Clement XI in 1710.  He acquired part of the relics of the Blessed Lucy from Ferrara in that year, and commissioned the remodelling of this chapel, which was to house them.  The inscription in the pavement records the completion of the chapel in 1714.

The altar surround (1654-6), which is by Carlo Rainaldi, originally stood in the Cappella di Sant’ Antonio di Padova in SS Apostoli, Rome.  Cardinal Sacripante purchased it in 1711 for his new chapel.  The design of the revetment of the walls, the windows, and the transverse oval dome is attributed to Nicolò Michetti, who also worked in Cardinal Sacripante’s Cappella di San Giuseppe at Sant' Ignazio, Rome.

In ca. 1715, Cardinal Sacriponte commissioned the decoration of the chapel  from Francesco Trevisani.  (This artist had also worked in the Cardinal's  Cappella di San Giuseppe at Sant' Ignazio, Rome).  Trevisani's works in the Cappella della Beata Lucia include:


  1. the panel on  the left of the death of St Joseph (the name saint of Cardinal Sacripante);

  2. the altarpiece of the stigmatisation of the Blessed Lucy;

  3. the panel on the right of the mystical marriage of St Catherine of Alexandria (the previous titular of the chapel).

  4. the frescoes of scenes from the life of the Blessed Lucy in the vaults and cupola.

Cardinal Giuseppe Sacripante died in Rome in 1727 and was buried in Sant’ Ignazio there.  However, his nephew, Cardinal Carlo Maria Sacripante was buried in this chapel when he died in 1758.

The reliquary on the altar, which now contains all the relics of the Blessed Lucy, was brought here from Ferrara on 1935. 

Cappella Nuova del SS Sacramento (1728)

The inscription in the right transept, to the left of the short corridor leading to this chapel at the end of the right aisle, records that Bishop Nicolò Terzago (1725-60) built and consecrated it in 1728.


The corridor leading to it contains:

  1. a detached fresco (15th century) of the Pietà with SS Sebastian and Francis in a niche on the left, which is attributed to Pierantonio Mezzastris; and

  2. an ornate altar on the right that includes an altarpiece (18th century) of St Philip Neri.

Cappella della Consolazione (1512)

The Spanish Bishop Pedro Gormaz of Narni (1490-1515) built this chapel in the left aisle, which was used as the winter choir.  It is named for the icon of the Madonna della Consolazione (see below), which is housed in a marble tabernacle. 

In 1514, Bishop Gormaz commissioned the decoration and gilding of the chapel from Rinaldo Jacovetti da Calvi.  Most of this work has been lost.

The monument (ca. 1515) of Bishop Gormaz is on the left.

Madonna della Consolazione (15th century)

This panel, wh
ich is a copy of the icon of the Madonna and Child in Santa Maria del Popolo, Rome, is attributed to Pancrazio Jacovetti da Calvi (the father of Rinaldo - see above).

Madonna and Child with saints (15th century)

This altarpiece on the back wall, which depicts the Madonna and Child with SS Peter, Paul, Juvenal and Cassius, is by a follower of Antoniazzo Romano.

Return to Interior;

or proceed to:  Sacello di San Cassio; or Frescoes of San Giovenale.

  Return to Monuments of Narni

Return to Walk I.